background

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

close call....

     On Friday, I woke up with this annoying numbness in my left foot and just thought, maybe I slept on it wrong. I shrugged it off until I realized that when I woke up on Monday morning...it was still numb! Only now it spread up into my calf and turned into an icy/hot burning sensation and I could feel something was wrong. I was more concerned than usual since I had to be careful when I was pregnant and was monitored for blood clots in my legs. I had to wear those TED hoes 24/7 that are so tight and squeeze all the fat out of your legs and make you more conscious of how huge you're getting!         
     any ways...so of course I wake my hubby up...5:40am-he's not a morning person:( and ask what he thinks I should do? I did have a little bit of a break down! Every girl needs a good cry right!;) We decided to see how I felt at the end of the day and if it was still bothersome, call my OB and go see her on Tues. By 9pm that night...it was achy and more numb than before. I talked to a nurse in my ward and he said if it was still concerning I should head to the ER. So...about 10:30pm I left for the ER.  
     They did an ultrasound and wanted to do some blood work and other tests while they were waited for the on call radiologist to read the scan.  I had a good feeling after the ultrasound, when the tech said...."I think you're gonna live!" He could tell I was nervous and wanted to help me relax. My Blood Pressure was 135/86. That is SUPER high for me. Even when I was giving birth and having major contractions my pressure was never higher than 115/70's.  
    After about 40 mins, the Dr came back in and said...everything looks good, We can rule out you having a STROKE!!  I'm thinking...I'm only 23...too young to be having a stroke. But he then informed me they have to rule out all the possibilities.  He also proceeded to tell me the ultrasound looked clear and there was no blockage or strain on the blood vessels in my leg. Whew!! Thank Heavens! He felt the Parethesia, or "numbness" was inflammation of the nerves from a viral infection that anyone can easily get and it just manifested itself in my leg from stress, hormones, and lack of sleep...aka-being a new Mother! They usually give you a steriod injection but since I'm nursing they can't and I just have to wait for it to run its course in 7-10 days. 
    Today's not too bad, the numbess is minimal but it's more of an achy and sore muscle pain now. I'm very thankful that everything turned out ok and I'm not dying!;) I'm so blessed to have this healthy body and need to take advantage of it and do all I can to keep it strong. I'm very greatful that my husband and son are healthy as well.  We are so very fortunate!! What a wonderul Memorial Day huh...oh did I mention that it was OUR WEDDING ANNIVERSARY TOO!!! 2 YEARS BABY!

3 comments:

The Clarks said...

CALLIE! That is so scary...I think you better come out here asap so nothing like that happens again... :D

Kristi @ Lolly Jane said...

congrats! happy anniversary :) glad you're going to live!!!

Emily said...

GIRL!! i did not know you had a baby!!! wow late congrats!!! came across your blog on brees and wanted to say hi!!!