background

Friday, July 16, 2010

Utah & California!

As some of you know we're out here in San Diego doing the summer sales thing again. This year is a little different from last yr. Elliott did come out here by himself but Porter & I have been fortunate enough to spend entire month with him. It's so nice to have a break from being a single parent...although the long hours they work (8am-9pm) still make me feel like one. It has been a very humbling experience to see what meager living out here is like.
We're in a 1 bedroom, 900 sq foot apartment that was built in like the 1970's. I'm so used to my well working central a/c but here we have a sweet wall unit that only cools the family room, so every night you stick to the sheets and sweat from the humidity. It gets cool enough at night to keep the windows open but we're within a few miles from the Miramar Military base, with lots of Military men living all around us and very noisy at night.
We even had one guy who was so so drunk, try to break into our apartment at 3:36am this morning. He was sure this was where he lived so he tried breaking our window, pounding on our door and yelling for us to let him in. Elliott finally went out and talked to him and the guy felt so stupid...he lived next door! Those men serving our country sure know how to party!!! Way to pick them Uncle Sam!!
The apartment doesn't have a washer/dryer so I've even had to use a laundromat!! I am very grateful and thankful for the small and simple leasers I have at home. We are very spoiled! The apartment doesn't have cable but we did manage to get the internet!! (I needed some touch with reality :)!!!) We are enjoying our Netflix membership...I've seen quite the selection of movies lately.

Here's the boys...off to church!
He looks so big...not a baby anymore!
I think I should break his TV addiction sometime soon! I don't know who will suffer more when I do...him or Me! ;(
He loves playing with his legos!
Porter is still obsessed with The Jungle Book. I don't know if he'll ever stop loving this movie. He has moved on to The Fox and the Hound and Charlotte's Web...all containing talking/singing animals!
We had the chance to spend some time in Utah for Father's Day, visiting family and friends. It was a very fun and successful trip...the 14 hr drive up here was not so much!! Given the circumstances (accidents, fires and freeway closures) Porter handled it pretty well. He loved running around in the grass and being chased by his Aunt Morgin!
She loves taking pictures of him and he loves climbing up the stairs! We don't have stairs so any chance he gets he's like a kid at Disneyland!!
I just love this kid and enjoy all his fun/silly/cute faces he makes.
His new thing now is trying to do "fishy" kisses. It's my favorite...I'll try to get a video to share.
Our apartment is within walking distance to lots of food and shopping. We've taking a few too many Target trips, enjoying their tastey pizza! Porter must think his shirt would like some too since he insisted on wearing half of it!! I can honestly say he is ALL BOY!!
Very, very dirty & busy!
We have met some fun new friends this summer and are excited to play a little longer! We have a few more fun things planned before we make the journey home...it's gone by too fast!!! I'm hoping that Sea World is on the agenda! I also start school in a few weeks...Microbiology...which I'm not thrilled to be taking again! Hopefully I can hop back into the school groove quick!
I'm excited for us to all be out here next summer...but 2 kids are sure gonna be a challenge!

3 comments:

Kristi @ Lolly Jane said...

Go girl! I miss school.
Callie come hang w/ me! Being "single" stinks!! :( Except here it is at midnight and I'm blogging...... hee hee.

Hannah + 4 said...

How fun! And congrats on baby #2!! Thats so exciting!

The Clarks said...

Girl I didn't even know you were pregnant again! Congrats! How far along are you? Porter is getting big. He is a darling little boy. Have fun in SD while your still there, we had fun there last summer. And good for you for going back to school, that is awesome!